Doing the Right Things?

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Sat May 31 22:53:20 CEST 2003

Hi All,

I have a concern about the type of discussions that we've
been having regarding the process document, so far...

The discussion has focused quite heavily on who should
manage the improvement processes and very little on what
those improvement processes should be.

The process document currently recommends four separate,
parallel near-term efforts and a longer-term effort, as
follows:

    Near-Term:
       (1) Form a WG intended to improve the quality,
		timeliness and predictability of IETF
		WG output, by improving our quality and
		review processes.

	(2) Continue and expand our ongoing educational
		efforts for WG chairs and participants,
		including the addition of education for
		editors.  A BOF request for Vienna has
		already been circulated regarding this
		work.

	(3) Encourage grass-roots efforts to deploy
		tools for voluntary use by WGs and
		IETF participants, particularly for
		issue tracking and document sharing.

	(4) Continue efforts to promote communication
		between WG chairs.  This section is very
		weak, and additional suggestions would
		be appreciated.

	Longer-Term:

	(5) Form an IETF Improvement WG that will
		undertake a two phase process:

		- Understand the mission, values and
		  goals of the IETF, and develop metrics
		  to measure and evaluate our current
		  performance.
		- Make changes the organizational
		  structure of the IETF and/or our
		  standards-track processes to
		  improve the efficiency and
		  scalability of the IETF.

So, regardless of exactly _how_ we organize to do these
things and/or _who_ does them...  Do people think that
these are the right things to do?

Margaret