Query: adding additional AD

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Fri May 30 12:43:30 CEST 2003

Uh... a firm, definitive, "Maybe".

I think "new AD" (or "new Area") are decisions the process
explicitly reserves to the IESG.  Attempted micromanaging of
that process (or decision) from a WG (or even a plenary) is
almost certain to cause more harm than the value of either a
"yes" or "no" decision is worth.   So I hope the IESG will weigh
the considerations --based, presumably, on the input they have
already and their understanding of their own needs and
constraints-- and make a decision.   I hope they will do so
swiftly, because it is important to get on with the work.   And
I hope they will choose to explain their reasoning, since there
are clearly tradeoffs involved.

For the record, my original suggestion was contingent: not
"let's do this" but "if we need to do something, a new AD (with
or without a new Area) is preferable to inventing procedures".
And, to the extent to which I think a new AD would be useful
(I'm not convinced one way or the other), my focus is more on
IESG work load levels, possible appeals, and possibly an
increase in openness resulting from less load and stress than on
any issues of distrust or "who is reporting to whom" process.
I hope the IESG will consider those issues for whatever value
they might have in the balance.

      john

--On Friday, 30 May, 2003 09:32 -0400 Melinda Shore