IESG restructuring (Re: Example of the One Liners out of context)

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wz-berlin.de
Thu May 29 01:13:40 CEST 2003

On 28 May 2003 at 15:07, Eric Rescorla wrote:

> > One can, of
> > > course, adopt any number of theories designed to give it concrete
> > > meaning, but I doubt we could get consensus on any of them.
> >
> > Are you implying that the IETF could not agree on a mission? Because that is
> > what I think a mission should also be about.
>
> I'm having a hard time believing that the IETF is going to come
> to some agreement on e.g., economic efficiency versus minimax
> as the metric for good of the Internet.

Perhaps this is naïve but I would think the starting point of a mission
should be to make explicit the common ground of every day working
group discussion. Now, don't tell me there is no or only little common
ground. You wouldn't be able to communicate in the first place if you
didn't share crucial concepts, goals and values. To some degree it
depends on the language whether you can agree on value based
issues.

jeanette