IESG restructuring (Re: Example of the One Liners out ofcontext)

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Tue May 27 09:49:25 CEST 2003

I'm still in favor of having a limited short term AD-ship for the
General Area to handle this. Personally, I'm not so concerned about
conflict of interest as about the perception of conflict of interest
which some seem to have. Also, one of the concerns expressed has been
AD burn out due to too large a work load, and so it does not make
sense to me to load Harald down with this and thereby potentially
contribute to that problem. My understanding from previous email is
that there is precedent for such an AD-ship, in the Standards
Management AD from 1990-1991. Finally, I think it should be strictly
limited in duration, designed to sunset within a year at most, so we
don't end up with the kind of standards management bureaucracy that
Randy has identified as a problem with other standarization groups.

            jak