IESG restructuring (Re: Example of the One Liners out ofcontext)

Eric Rescorla ekr at rtfm.com
Tue May 27 09:03:59 CEST 2003

"Jeanette Hofmann" <jeanette at wz-berlin.de> writes:
> This might or might not be true. One crucial question is if those who are
> members of the IESG are equally open and neutral with regard to proposed
> problem solutions addressing the IESG than someone who is new to this club.
I wouldn't expect them to be. Their incentives are different.

> A second question is if the whole process would benefit from a new AD, who
> would bring in fresh perspectives and ideas because she or he doesn't take
> the current structure so much for granted as those who have grown up in it.

Out of the current IESG...
Three have served less than 2 years: Bill Fenner, Steve Bellovin, Alex Zinin
Three were just appointed: Ted Hardie, Russ Housley, Jon Peterson

So, I don't think you can characterize them as having "grown up
in the system" to any greater extent than that to which the IETF
as a whole is infected.

If your point is that some real outsider should be brought in,
I think that's worth considering, but I don't think that
picking some non-IESG IETFer would do the job.

-Ekr

--
[Eric Rescorla                                   ekr at rtfm.com]
           Web Log: http://www.rtfm.com/movabletype