what are the real problems

Scott Bradner sob at harvard.edu
Fri May 23 10:19:49 CEST 2003

keith sed:
> seems like in most cases we have a difficult enough time producing a single
> solution of appropriate quality

and sometimes trying to resolve two conflicting approaches in order to
get that single solution means that nothing gets done - see, for example,
the attempt to come up with the one true multicast routing protocol -
progress was made when the requirement for a working group to agree
on just one solution was removed

we should not produce multiple solutions for the sake of multiple
solutions but we should be open to doing so when there are two or so
different enough approaches that trying to force a single solution
will not likly be successful in any rational period of time

the IM area is another case where forcing a one true solution route would
have been counter productive

Scott