what are the real problems

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 23 00:41:40 CEST 2003

> The IETF process is intended to exert quite a bit of quality control.
>
> The difficulty is in thinking that quality control necessarily means
> permitting only one solution to be issued.

has this really been a problem in practice?  do we have any reason to believe
that issuing multiple solutions will improve the quality of life on the
Internet?

seems like in most cases we have a difficult enough time producing a single
solution of appropriate quality, and when we're reluctant to issue multiple
solutions it is not usually out of concern for quality of those solutions but
for the interactions and lack of interoperability between them.