what are the real problems

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Thu May 22 23:30:43 CEST 2003

> On the other hand the IETF still manages to undertake a certain amount
> of
> Bad Idea filtering, and the criteria for a Bad Idea has some reference
> a generic engineering model of the Internet as we know it.

> If the only role of the IETF is to bless the offerings from certain
> vendors
> who hold significant market share and to soundly rubbish offerings from
> those vendors to whom the Market has shown displeasure, then
> we are all wasting our time.

I think there's a middle ground between the extreme of preventing
anything from happening that might change anything, and the extreme of
blessing everything.   My experience has been that we tend to err more
towards the former than the latter (indeed, I think there's no danger
of us erring towards the latter), and I've seen some very good ideas
shot down as a result.