OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Thu May 22 14:37:50 CEST 2003

> Of course, in a few years we will have raised the bar for Experimental.
> So we need to introduce another new name. But luckily, since Draft has
> then not been used for a while, we can simply introduce a new model
> which has Draft->Proposed->Standard. :-)

Don't experimental RFCs have warnings all over them about not deploying
them widely?   Anyway, that brings up another point, which I think is
the real problem - it is not "Experimental" or "Proposed" or "Draft" or
"Standard" that makes something a standard in the eyes of the wider
Internet developer community.  Unfortunately, it is "RFC," despite the
fact that "RFC" stands for Request For Comments.

What about using a different TLA for experimental than for other RFCs?
  Like "XCR" - Experimental, Comments Requested.   XCRs would have the
same degree of permanence in the IETF's RFC distribution as RFCs, but
wouldn't have the much-coveted "RFC" TLA applied to them, and thus
wouldn't be considered standards in the same way that something that
has the RFC TLA is.   I-Ds could be IPD (Informational Protocol
Description) instead of RFC, and so on.