OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Thu May 22 15:09:23 CEST 2003

> _nobody_ claims that AH and ESP were insecure because they
> were standardized without key distribution.

not insecure, just useless.  and the fallback to bare IP _is_ insecure.

I'd also claim that IPsec implementation in hosts is useless without an
API that allows apps to determine the validity of their peers'
credentials...

maybe this is another illustration that we don't really try to
understand the full scope of the problem until it gets to IESG.
and it's hardly surprising if IESG does a poor job of fixing that.