OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore.fi
Thu May 22 21:53:35 CEST 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Pete Resnick wrote:
> On 5/22/03 at 8:58 AM -0700, Randy Bush wrote:
>
> >>perhaps we'd produce higher quality and more relevant documents if
> >>we imposed some earlier review, and perhaps we'd get those
> >>documents done in a more timely fashion if the early reviews...
> >
> >i do not disagree with you.
> >[...]
> >   o the bar is too high
> >[...]
> >with which i disagree
>
> How about "the first bar is too high" or "we need a new lower  initial bar"?

Completely disagree.

We need to be able to kill the bad ideas early so that we don't get to the
typical case:

"2 years has passed, people have spent a lot of work on this, so it
wouldn't be fair to kill it now.. so let's pass it through even if we
shouldn't."

.. of course, the alternative to killing bad ideas is correcting them
early on.. but it's fallacy to believe that all the bad ideas can be
corrected.