OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Thu May 22 10:56:59 CEST 2003

charlie,

i think there are at least two major factors in increased delay,
and you pointed out one, security.  we used not to even think about
it.  it was rude to run a unix host without a password-less account
named 'guest'.  but the world has changed.  and the <bleep>ing
security folk have not given us magic pixie dust to secure our
stuff, but instead we have a serious ramp-up to achieve even
reasonable security (for some value of reasonable).  this can be a
significant part of the work of producing a new protocol or piece
thereof.

but one we seem to miss is that the total protocol space is now
much larger than we were kids.  and the interactions have gone up
super-linearly with the number of features.  this has serious
impact in the intra-area and cross-wg and cross-area analysis and
operational evaluation of a proposal for a new protocol or feature.
and this only gets worse in time, and not linearly.  i think that
mip, being so basic, also hits this one seriously.

i think that these may be core problems.  sorry, but i am not sure
i have solutions.  the second may be somewhat ameliorated by the
restraint for which brian continually excoriates me.

randy