OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Ted Lemon mellon at nominum.com
Thu May 22 12:11:44 CEST 2003

> If we add a step which should be easy to get to ("Experimental") and
> actually try to make it so, we might still leave the folks enough
> incentive to finish it and hone it to get it to the next level
> ("Proposed
> Standard") -- or kill it completely as a bad idea.

Right now I think most people think of "Experimental" as "never going
to be a standard."   I know that's not what it was originally intended
to mean, but in practice that seems to be how people think of it.   I'm
reluctant to provide a specific example here because the one I can
think of is so controversial, but a lot of you probably remember the
conversation anyway.