Charters, "normal process" versus ISOC, etc. (was: Re

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Tue May 20 20:10:54 CEST 2003

--On Tuesday, 20 May, 2003 18:33 -0400 Keith Moore
<moore at cs.utk.edu> wrote:

>> We have a disgruntled community.  We have productivity
>> problems.
>>
>> Some changes are underway, including finally getting better
>> tracking software. All that is fine, but it has literally
>> nothing at all to do with the core problems. The core
>> problems are deep and long-standing. They have to do with
>> transparency, accountability, responsiveness and conflicting
>> responsibilities.
>
> IMHO the core problem is the inability of many working groups
> to produce technically sound output in a timely manner.
> Trying to blame this on IESG is counterproductive.

Keith and Dave,

Neither of you really need to be reminded of this, but the issue
isn't placing blame (and I didn't read "blame the IESG" into
Dave's note).  Getting technically sound standards out the door
in a reasonable amount of time is, under our current procedures
and working models, a partnership and shared responsibility
between the IESG, the individual ADs, WG leadership, and WG
participants.  If we aren't succeeding in the goal of getting
technically sound documents through the system and out the door
in a reasonable time, we need to be pursuing _all_ of the
aspects of our way of doing things that might cure that problem
-- or we need to adjust our expectations.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is a good deal easier to think
about difficulties and ways in which the management and
oversight structures might be tuned than it is to think about
finding a mechanism, or the right variety of pixie dust, that
would cause all WGs to require sufficient wisdom, insight, and
resources to avoid the need for review and coordination.

We should identify the problems and expectations, fix what we
can, and figure out how to adjust our expectations to match what
we cannot fix.  "Blame the IESG" isn't a constructive part of
the puzzle, IMO, although "blame some things that IESG does or
some procedures that IESG has" or "blame some ways in which WGs
are constituted and work" should both, again IMO, be fair game.

      john