OPEN ISSUE: WG Chair Selection

John C Klensin john-ietf at jck.com
Tue May 20 16:32:04 CEST 2003

Spencer,

For perhaps-obvious reasons, sitting IESG members may be a bit
reluctant to answer this explicitly.  As a variation, let me
explain why you may not get an answer that is as clear as you
like.

In this, or any similar volunteer organization, occasions in
which an AD becomes uncomfortable with WG, or WG Chair,
performance are fairly common.  On average, I'd guess that
occurs at least a few times per WG per year, but the tails on
that distribution are very long.   Normally, depending somewhat
on the personalities and style of the particular AD and Chair
involved, that discomfort is followed by some combination of
advice, encouragement, counselling, education, etc.  If enough
of those occur enough times, much more direct conversations,
sometimes followed by threats, enter the equation.  Now, for
some WG chair personalities, especially in combination with
particularly forceful ADs, there may be very little perceived
difference between a "firm and frank exchange of views",
especially if it occurs with a few accompanying threats, a
demand for a resignation, or an outright firing.  In other
combinations of cases, the difference is very great indeed.

Of course, ADs don't have infinite patience, and probably
shouldn't.  Frequent instances of discomfort or annoyance are as
likely to lead to chair-removal (maybe more likely) as a few
seriously bad actions.

To complicate things further, I've observed that most ADs try to
keep to keep the fact of forcing a Chair out fairly low profile
and to try to avoid disrupting WGs more than necessary.  So,
e.g., what might appear to a WG as "adding a co-chair to help
with the load" might actually be a "get someone new in and up to
speed so that the disfunctional original chair can be dumped".

There are also situations in which an AD concludes that the
correct action is to fire a WG, not a chair.  But sometimes that
results from the conclusion that the chair isn't functioning but
that no replacement would be likely to function any better.
Again, you can't generally tell from the outside and that is
often a good thing (especially when the chair might be perfectly
appropriate for managing some other WG, under other
circumstances).

The "WG isn't getting anything done anyway" point that you make
is important.  It figures prominently in many of these
decisions, but certainly not all of them.  To take an extreme
case as an example, suppose we had a WG that is working smoothly
and effectively and has co-chairs.   One of them is function and
the other is not.  Some ADs are going to be strongly inclined to
force the disfunctional Co-chair out as a matter of principle if
he or she can't be quickly persuaded to start pulling weight and
contributing usefully.   Other ADs would be inclined to just let
this go, especially if the functional co-Chair isn't
complaining, on the "why stir up trouble" or "it isn't broken,
don't fix it" principles.  I think there aren't any uniformly
correct answers and the differences mess up the statistics.

Those aren't numbers, but maybe the explanation will help a bit.

      john

--On Tuesday, 20 May, 2003 07:19 -0500 Spencer Dawkins