OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Tue May 20 11:17:52 CEST 2003

Dear Margaret,

Well, now that you mention it, I believe these items would help people find
things:

- actual use of the STD maturity level, so that many questions could be
answered by "look at STD n", no matter what has happened to the underlying
RFCs and errata sheets lately,

- a severe pruning to Historical of protocols that aren't still widely used,

- possibily even a severe pruning to Historical of protocols that aren't
still being deployed (even if they are still in use),

- decent STF organization (note that STD 5 includes SIX RFCs on IP and ICMP.
Conversely, how many Telnet options are there? they're spread across SIX
STDs).

- I really like the Updated By/Obsoleted By information you get when you
SEARCH for a document at http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfcsearch.html, but this
information could appear other places, too (in document bodies would be
nice, but I know we don't change RFCs without changing RFC numbers).

Others?

Spencer