Some examples from realatively new IETFers

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Mon May 19 07:16:33 CEST 2003

Hi all,

I've recieved the following mail (specifics are changed) from a collegue who
is new to the IETF. I'm just posting this as an example of problems that people
face when trying to get work done in the IETF.  Take it as you will, but from
my point of view, it shows that the system is not transparent.

br,
John

====================

I've got a funny effect of having preliminary work for XYZ technology "approved"
for the BYOB WG charter at the end of IETF-xx. There was a two month delay with no real
idea what was going on except that the decision had already taken place.

This time we got caught out as we planned to work publicly on the new chartered items when
the items became officially public, and lost (only) a month - but I won't repeat that
error next time (assuming the problem statement remains valid for a few more months).

Since we are attempting to "fast track" this XYZ work item (go from the real work on IDs start
to finish in 12 months), it seems amazing that at least half of the time (I guess 6 months
- 3½ already this year) will be working with the lights off - not knowing whether the
"IETF powers that be" will kill or praise it at the next day break. Is this normal to be
working 50% in the "don't crush me please" dark?