OPEN ISSUE: Improvement WG Oversight

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Fri May 16 23:57:36 CEST 2003

Hi Dave,

At 04:19 PM 5/16/2003 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>Let's remember where the current effort came from.  It was during an
>IESG Plenary during which a great many folks got up to the microphone
>and expressed serious displeasure, much of it with the IESG.
>
>It does not matter whether one agrees or disagrees with any or all of
>those speakers.  What is important is that a broad base of discontent
>was demonstrated to exist.

In my opinion, the existence of discontent does not necessarily
indicate the desire to overthrow the leadership.  If there is
consensus at a plenary that a serious problem exists, I think
that it is the IESG's job to address that problem.  As long
as the IESG acknowledges the problem and is responsive to it,
I don't think that there is any reason to take the IESG out
of the loop.

>Having the IESG control the IETF change process is a very pure
>structural conflict of interest.

In what sense?  It is quite common for the executive staff of
a company to lead a reorganization, or for other types of
groups to make changes to their own organization and processes.
The U.S. Congress, for example, can pass legislation that
changes the roles and responsibilities of Congressmen, and they
can even give themselves a raise.  As far as I know, none of
this is seen as "conflict of interest".

>Having ISOC oversee the process is identical to ISOC's role with respect
>to NOMCOM, including minor items like choosing a chair for the effort.

Not really.  The Nomcom is a closed body.  It isn't intended
to run an open process or produce documents.

>ps.  For those who enjoy irony, I'll note that I was prompted to post my
>thoughts by Margaret, who knows full well the details of my disagreement
>with her...

Why is this ironic.  I raised the issues because I wanted them to
be discussed.  I think it is only fair that views from both major
sides of each issues should be expressed, so that members of the
WG can make an informed decision between the choices.

I stated my views, but I didn't think that I could fairly state
the pro-ISOC-directed view.

Margaret