OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 16 13:57:14 CEST 2003

I'd like to suggest that if we're going to change our document maturity
levels and/or their criteria, that we first need to understand what set
of maturity levels would be a good impedance match with what "the
industry" (including non-commercial implementors) needs, while still
serving the needs of the broader Internet community.

Then we need to figure out what are appropriate criteria to impose at
each stage, given those needs, keeping in mind the level of energy we
can reasonably expect to bring to each transition between stages.

Then we need to figure out how to label/market each level of maturity.
This might include deciding what is or is not labeled as "RFC".

Keith