OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Fri May 16 12:57:22 CEST 2003

I'd like to suggest that rather than thinking in terms of lowering the
bar for Proposed, that we instead think in terms of creating a more
explicit preliminary step before getting to Proposed, treating what
is now called Proposed as more mature than we do now, and probably
eliminating Full Standard.  Because what seems to have happened is that
both the industry and IESG are now treating Proposed as "ready for
shipping product".  I don't think it's realistic to expect IESG (or
IETF) to lower the bar for Proposed unless the industry also lowers its
expectations, and I don't know how to make the latter happen.

I assume that we'd probably want to rename the current maturity levels
and change the status of existing documents to match their positions in
the new scheme.