OPEN ISSUE: Standards Track

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Thu May 15 11:02:06 CEST 2003

Margaret,

I've felt for some time that there is a need for a change in this
area, but this analysis leaves out the issue of Working Group drafts,
which I think is a critical component. Right now, they have grey area
status. I've seen drafts move from individual contribution to Working
Group status only because nobody on the mailing list spoke up when the
Working Group chair put out the question about whether a draft should
move to Working Group status or not. Many vendors start implementing
when something becomes a Working Group draft, since realistically,
they view that move as entry into the standardization process,
regardless of what IETF's process RFCs say about it.

Arguments have been made on this list that we should not touch the
current Proposed/Draft distinction, and I agree that the distinction
is useful even if Proposed is treated as "standard" by vendors for all
practical purposes (Full Standard, however, is largely useless except
as a historical distinction). However, I think some attention is
needed to how a draft becomes a Working Group draft. Perhaps that move
is when a preliminary review is made on the design, so that movement
to Working Group draft status does not happen for reasons that have
nothing to do with the technical aspects of the design.

            jak