Maturing [Re: Time required to write down "wisdom" ...]

john.loughney at nokia.com john.loughney at nokia.com
Wed May 14 14:44:06 CEST 2003

Brian,

> Well, I wrote that while sitting in an IPv6 Forum meeting in Madrid, which
> is a good place for realising that strategic goals are important in the
> face of pragmatic solutions. Also the current Economist has an excellent
> survey on the maturing of the IT industry - well worth reading.
> For paid subscribers, it starts at
> http://www.economist.com/printedition/displayStory.cfm?Story_ID=1747329

> I think we are heading towards a period when "good enough" may in fact
> not be good enough. I would expect customers to be expecting something
> much nearer perfection within a few years. And the history of every
> industrial technology has, I think, showed that high quality standards
> are an unavoidable part of getting to that level.
>
> So I think that while the frustration of a thorough standards process
> is annoying, that doesn't allow us to adopt short cuts that compromise
> quality. We should work out how to achieve quality more quickly.

So, in reading the above set of articles, I am lead to belief that
certain technologies are promoted before they are ready, implementations
tend to be rough & users' needs are not taken into account.

I am of a (perhaps naive) belief that there are windows of opportunities
for certain solutions.  If we miss the window, certain technologies may
not be deployed, even if superior.

I am not suggesting, as alluded to by Keith, that we allow marketers to
dictate to us what to do, but that we should have some understanding of
the implacations of our actions.

John