Time required to write down "wisdom" (Re: "Adult supervision")

Spencer Dawkins spencer at mcsr-labs.org
Tue May 13 09:01:46 CEST 2003

I think the Problem Statement implication here is that there are two
possible cases:

- a company tries to slam-dunk its protocol into products before we can
complete a specification for it, and

- we take so long completing a specification that protocols start appearing
in products before we're finished with our solution

We can't prevent the first case from happening, and companies that attempt
this may succeed from time to time.

We can't prevent the second case from happening, in all situations but every
improvement we can make in "removing avoidable delays" will help.

We want to reward people for bringing technology to us, by producing quality
specifications in a timely manner.

When we are, once again, recognized as a body that can develop
specifications quickly, this will encourage customers to say "but is this
based on IETF standards track specifications?" more frequently.

And any wisdom we write down can help informed readers oppose the deployment
of inferior solutions.

Spencer the idealist