draft-carpenter-solution-sirs-00.txt

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Thu May 8 07:37:24 CEST 2003

john,

jlnc> Another question, how should we handle SIRs that are active
jlnc> in the WG they are reviewing?  Should this fall under a potential
jlnc> conflict of interest?

The question of SIR direct involvement strikes me as one that could be
decided in either direction.

If we simply view the role of an SIR to be one of contributing an
experienced eye, then direct involvement well might be a good thing.
In fact, it well might be necessary, to help the working group break
through "strategic" technical log-jams.

If we are worried that direct involvement could cloud that eye, then
it is important that they have a degree of detachment.

As someone who never lets my strong advocacy of technical positions
cloud their judgement about problems, of course I believe there is no
problem with the direct involvement.  And of course, most other senior
folk in the community equally sustain excellent professional
detachment from technical debates.

mumble.

d/
--