"Adult supervision"

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Wed May 7 23:58:14 CEST 2003

As a note we just had a debate in IPv6 WG around SHOULD or MAY around
whether a BCP Nodes Requirement Document.  The issue was should the doc
state Nodes SHOULD or MAY have Stateful Implementation in addition to
Stateless (ergo DHCPv6).  A few participants noted that those wanting it
to be SHOULD quoting the SHOULD in 2119 that 2119 SHOULD statement needs
fixing.  The argument to use the SHOULD was not used but the confusing
on interpretation of the SHOULD was not good.  I think 2119 normally
works.  In this case those for stated that implied within what is call
Neighbor Discovery permitting a router to set the bit to do stateful (no
statement in that spec of should, may, or must) just an option as all
options, created a strong case for SHOULD.  But, then the same against
the SHOULD stated that SHOULD could apply for when Nodes want to get
non-address information.
But confusion does exist in 2119 as recent as San Franciso IETF.

Not sure if others are seeing this but having 2119 updated would be
important if needs fixing and causing a problem from multiple integrated
specifications depending on each other?

/jim