"Adult supervision"

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Wed May 7 10:45:08 CEST 2003

> >After you've debated something in depth a dozen or more times it
> >starts to get old.
>
> It get's old for the one who has repeated the argument 12+ times.
> But that's no excuse for refusing to fully explain yourself to the
> 13th+ person making the same mistake and hearing the argument for the
> very first time.

life is too short.  because generally, we're not talking about an explanation,
we're talking about an extended debate.

now I'll grant that probably what should happen is that after about the 4th
time you find yourself explaining something you write up a web page (NOT an
RFC) and update it as necessary, and subsequently point people to that web
page.

> >Should IESG members really have to debate with each
> >document author or working group chair (for instance) whether it's okay to
> >assume that a device or server will only be accessible from a local,
> >trusted network and that therefore no authentication is needed?
>
> The IESG shouldn't have to debate, no, but they should offer
> constructive criticism and instruction in each case.

it doesn't scale.  what we need to find is a better way to teach people than
having to tutor them one at a time.

Keith