My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Sun May 4 09:19:20 CEST 2003

But, because a WG busts their behind and does all the work and holds
their ground on a technology decision does not mean it's a mob
mentality.

What we need to do after hearing all this rhetoric is more empowerment
to the Chairs.

I am convinced this will solve most problems we have and that is what is
done in industry.

You set up a set of clear articulated rules for the general case and
then you empower your managers to execute.

So I don't want the Chairs second guessed or to be figure head for the
IESG or any review committee.

Empower the Chairs and let them make decisions within the general
guidelines and if they fail then fire them.

WE also need a better way to fire IESG members too when they fail.

The bottom line is oligarchy or monarchy does not work history has
proven that clearly.
That is what we have now we have to fix the root of our process.

Regards,
/jim