My thoughts about the problems of the IETF

Bill Fenner fenner at research.att.com
Thu May 1 17:28:36 CEST 2003

>Anyways, would you have some examples of such cases? Maybe I'm too naive,
>but I kind of tend to think that the WGs try to do the right thing. I can
>understand that despite of best efforts errors may happen. However, the
>reason for errors are usually due to the lack of sufficient review.

And documents unquestionably make it to the IESG's plate with insufficient
review.  There was a bundle of documents that came to the IESG last year,
where document A said "When you get multiple frobnitzen, you order them
first by foo and then by bar", and document B said "order them by bar and
then by foo."  I caught this just because I was someone reading the bundle
from scratch and trying to make sense of the whole system; the WG was
presumably sufficiently down in the details that they didn't notice the
inconsistency.

  Bill