WG Chairs training (Re: modest suggestion for how to proceed)

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Thu Mar 27 08:25:59 CET 2003

--On onsdag, mars 26, 2003 13:36:11 -0500 Margaret Wasserman
<mrw at windriver.com> wrote:

>> So my next question is, is there ANY problem that has been
>> suggested, that might have a resolution that can be worked out
>> in isolation?
>
> Yes. I believe that the following problem (at least) can be
> worked on independently of the others:
>
> "IETF Participants and Leaders are inadequately trained."
>
> And, several of us are already working to address one aspect of
> this problem -- WG chairs training.

there are actually more hairs to this dog too....

instituting training can be based on two different theories:

- Training a pool of people so that they are available for work when needed
- Training people who are already working so that they work better

The first one requires that there is time enough between training and the
onset of work; it also implies (at least hints strongly) that one should
record the dossiers of people so that one knows who has received training
and which have not.

The second one imposes no such requirement, but requires us to live with
active working group chairs who have no training (didn't get it yet) and
working group chairs that have their own ideas on how to work (because
they've got experience with what things have worked for them); the
appropriate training methods may be thought of as dialogue and experience
exchange rather than the "classroom" that tends to appear in people's minds
when the word "training" is used.

I think the second model is the one that's possible for the IETF; if we
choose it consciously rather than trying to impose thinking from the other
style of training, I think we may achieve more benefit from it.

> I think it is very important that the organization does not
> sit still while we omphaloskepsize ourselves our of existence.
>
> One of my top goals in the "process" effort is spin out several
> small, tactical problems that can be addressed in the short
> term, while we work on longer-term problems.

agreed. I am looking forward to seeing an approach on this.

> I do realize that this will have the affect of making our current
> situation more tolerable and lessening the perceived need for
> more drastic longer-term measures... Thoughts?

if we can get a community acceptance that larger changes are needed to
address structural problems before things get calmed down to the point
where it's almost tolerable to live with for another 2 years (at which time
the frog will be truly cooked), I don't think there's a conflict.

In other words - I'd like to get the process for structural change on the
rails quickly.

               Harald "the sky is falling" Alvestrand