modest suggestion for how to proceed

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 26 06:27:59 CET 2003

OK, I'm an agreeable guy. I want to agree with everybody, so I
agree with these points ...

- we do need to know what a problem is, before we can solve it

- we don't want to wait longer than we have to wait

- we have more than one problem
    (unless it's that "IETF doesn't work")

- we're willing to do incremental solutions, maybe interatively

- we have a draft with descriptions of things
  that people said were problems

- I can't imagine that we all agree
  that all the proposed problems are really problems

Is there ONE problem that we can agree on? a problem that's not
coupled to other problems? a problem that doesn't call for
sweeping organizational and/or process changes as its solution?
and is still worth solving?

If we use the "root problem" section, perhaps "2.3 IETF
contributors appear to be less engaged than in earlier days"?

If we use the more granular proposed problems in the appendix,
perhaps "A.1 Problem area/subject matter issues", summarized as

  These problems are fundamentally caused by the lack of
  well-defined mission, and consequent effects, such as lack of
  priorities and goals, and undefined boundaries to the scope of
  problems which the IETF will tackle.

If we want to split up the work, identifying ANY work that can
be done in relative isolation seems key...

Spencer