modest suggestion for how to proceed

Harald Tveit Alvestrand harald at alvestrand.no
Wed Mar 26 08:11:45 CET 2003

it seems clear that we've identified that there isn't just one core problem
- so splitting up the task of dealing with them might be the Right Thing to
do.

I'd think that those activities might be thought of as subgroups of our
editing team - so far, I don't think Elwyn has been inundated with people
offering to write or rewrite part of his document for him, nor have we had
much feedback on Margaret's call for "defining mechanisms to solve the
problems" - which IS constructive rather than analytic activity, and
definitely within the WG's charter, so people who are waiting to "do
something" should definitely be able to jump on that.

One thing about the list below is that it is perhaps too omphaloskeptical
(love that word for "navel-gazing" :-) - one contributing factor to the
stresses the IETF is under is in fact the "world outside the gates" - our
relationship to the industry, our relationships with other standards
bodies, our relevance to the market.

We're largely irrelevant to Ethernet standardization, and want to stay that
way, but are impacted by decisions made in ITU, OASIS, 3GPP or IEEE, and
*deeply* impacted by industry consensus that certain technologies are worth
pursuing or not worth pursuing for standardization. (Database access
protocol standardization is *dead* - and not just because we didn't do it.)

If your proposal means that more people contribute text rather than
commenting in the abstract - I think it could be worthwhile.
But the chairs are in control....

             Harald

--On tirsdag, mars 25, 2003 10:37:17 -0500 Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu>