IETF Role other than as Standards Body

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Tue Mar 25 08:46:23 CET 2003

ISOC doesn't do any of this IMO.  So lets not pick slogans where we
cannot meet the deliverable.  They do promotion yes and are support
infrastructure for the IETF in some ways.  And the market (e.g.
Industry/Government) does not view them as authority to "sssure"
anything.

Also any mission is bogus without corresponding goals, objectives, and
deliverables.

I would support:

Mission: To foster the open development of standards, which can be used
for the continued development of the Internet.

Objective: Deliver protocol and operational standards, which are
interoperable, secure, and have no known limitations for deployment in
the market.

Goals:

Develop standards within an open and fair process.

Develop standards that are verifiable with running code.

Develop standards at a rate required by the market for the Internet.

Develop standards etc etc etc etc.

Deliverables:

Verifiable and accountable proof that the intersection of the Mission,
Objectives, and Goals were met.

/jim