thoughts on w.g. concensus process

James Kempf kempf at docomolabs-usa.com
Mon Mar 24 15:48:12 CET 2003

Bob,

This matches my experience, except I think that the size of the group does
matter. I've been involved in concensus decision making both within IETF and
within other groups, and my experience is that a smaller group generally leads
to more of a feeling of a team environment. In such an environment, people are
more willing to forgo individual advantage for the overall goal of coming out
with a solution. Of course, it is possible even in a small group for one person
to block concensus, but my experience is that it is rarer.

            jak