making strategic problems concrete

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Mon Mar 24 17:38:23 CET 2003

> On Mon, Mar 24, 2003 02:05:03PM -0500, Bound, Jim allegedly wrote:
> > James,
> >
> > What alternative do we have to consensus?
>
> Arbitrary decision by authority.

Well lets be careful here.  I felt that's where some want to go.  Don't
get me wrong I do this all the time in my day job and as Chair in roles
in other forums. But the IETF is a different culture.

Here is suggestion off the top of my head.

1.  Each solution must be written up with pro's and con's by independent
party.
2.  The WG then comments just to make sure that each one is documented
correctly.
3.  Then the chairs with the ADs and an IAB member decide (lets give IAB
some more work :---)).

And most important.  Those who make this decision are accountable.  What
this means is there is some history here of good and bad decisions.  So
if one of our managers/leaders makes many bad decisions that is input to
the nomcom in case of ADs and to ADs in case of WG Chairs.

With authority should come accountability too.

The above is just to state it has to be documented and fair process.

/jim