IETF Role other than as Standards Body

Bound, Jim Jim.Bound at hp.com
Mon Mar 24 12:01:22 CET 2003

One of the subjects in the draft is what is the IETFs role.

My bias is that it is a standards body.  It is not a deployment body and
does not own how the Internet or networks are actually deployed, other
than through standards that are used.

Who we are and believe we are affects our process, technical review, and
the IESG decision process.

If we accept and state who we are out of this process it will help
greatly.

As example I know of several large in process deployments that use our
specs but don't come to to use for choices of A, B, or C.  Those choices
are often a business and economic decision and that the IETF has input
too.

Regards,
/jim