Documenting consensus (RE: making strategic problems concrete)

Melinda Shore mshore at cisco.com
Mon Mar 24 09:38:53 CET 2003

> Is there a real problem in that we don't have any means
> recognized by the process of documenting the "consensus
> of the moment" except by people's memories?

It would seem to me to be an implementation problem.  It's
not going to work if the chairs don't recognize at which
point a decision needs to be made, call for consensus, if
there is consensus announce it on the mailing list and if
there's not consensus keep working at getting people to come
to agreement.  I've seen a number of cases where the chairs
are apparently waiting for the discussion to settle, and
that's an approach that's likely not to work much/most of
the time.

Melinda