The "late surprise" problem

Keith Moore moore at cs.utk.edu
Sat Mar 22 18:04:42 CET 2003

> This may solve a problem, but I don't think it quite addresses
> the same problem I've tried to address.  It creates a review
> body that would no doubt be of enormous help to the IESG,
> which might speed things along.  It is, however, still very
> late in the process.  Fundamentally, it is after the working
> group process finishes.

I agree.  I like the SIR proposal but as written it won't address the
late surprise problem.

> I would really like us to look at the problem in the working groups.
> I'm afraid the solution proposed might continue the existing problem
> that
> working groups do not feel empowered to make decisions.

in many cases the WG is not qualified to make decisions, because the
group is far more narrowly focused than the set of concerns that the
group's work affects.  we need to find a way to provide broad-based
input into WG discussions so that WGs will know, early in their
processes, the shape of their playing fields.

Keith