event goals/deliverables

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Sat Mar 22 12:31:16 CET 2003

Folks,

Sometimes, it is important to have free-ranging, open discussion.  It
allows people to explore things.  It allows serendipity.

However as a continuing, basic style of group management, it mostly
just allows chaos and waste.

With unfortunate regularity, a working group meeting -- and especially
a bof -- have no clear objective for the limited time allocated.

     So I would like to suggest that we begin a policy of not just
     requiring an agenda, but also requiring a statement of what is to
     be accomplished.

It will give people focus and it will give people a practical metric
for measuring meeting progress.

(Obviously, this also should apply to mailing list activity.)

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>