BEST Best Practices of the IETF

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at AlacrityManagement.com
Sat Mar 22 11:47:28 CET 2003

(Sorry for the resend, somehow the first copy of this reply got the wrong
subject)

Bert Wijnen wrote::
> > Christopher Allen wrote:
> > Culture & People
> >     o   Almost every response included aspects of culture and
> >         personal values...
> >         o   "The hacker spirit (no suits, please!)"
>
> I think that people with a real open mind would not try to keep anyone
> out based on their dress-code. I have been a long-time anti
> "suits/ties" person... and I virtually never wear one. But getting
> older. I have learnt that "I dress how I want and you dress how you
> want" is the better phrasing... In other words... "the dress-code" is
> irrelevant. Just keep the "hacker spirit" and remove the "(no suits,
> please!)"

The quotes that I put in my presentation were direct quotes selected from the
suits.

I actually agree with you personally, but I think it is relevant that for some
segment of our population they believe "no suits" is important. This means
either that we should explicity educate people that "hacker spirit" and "no
suits" are not related, or we have find some way to incorporate the meme tnat
"informal business attire" is culturally relevant to a sub-population of our
group, or we just ignore it and say that it isn't important.

-- Christopher Allen