making strategic problems concrete

Dave Crocker dhc at dcrocker.net
Fri Mar 21 10:53:25 CET 2003

Folks,

Harald A., Bob H., and others have put forward the view that there are
fundamental problems with the IETF that require fundamental change.

Let me suggest that it will greatly aid our strategic thinking to have
these views expressed concretely, in writing. That is, I would like to
ask folks who see the need for fundamental change to:

1) state precisely what fundamental operational problems they see

            eg., not just "we've gotten big" but rather "our getting
            big means attendees are not always seeking timely
            productive outcome" or "it takes too long to hear
            everyone's views" or...)

2) state precisely what fundamental organizational or operational
changes they believe are called for (and how it will fix the problem.)

A note to Harald:

   You've been careful to meter your public comments on this topic, in
order to allow the community discussion to proceed without undue
influence. Certainly that is an important concern.

   However my own feeling is that we will benefit MORE from hearing
the specifics of your deeply considered thoughts. On the average, our
cultural irreverence towards authority works well to mitigate
potential undue influence. On the other hand, no one is deeper into
these issues than you.

d/
--
 Dave Crocker <mailto:dcrocker at brandenburg.com>