The "late surprise" problem

Ted Hardie hardie at qualcomm.com
Fri Mar 21 09:52:15 CET 2003

In the spirit of stealing good ideas, I have plagiarized Harald below.

> this idea is fun!
>
> two things that might improve the idea:
>
> - colorize the SIRs. Routing clue has a green dot,
> internationalization clue has a blue dot, security clue has a black
> dot and so on - 5 or 6 categories. Require that reviewers have at
> least 3 different clues between them.

Without qualifying them as SIRs, we could do the same with working
group composition--you need
committed participants with at least 3 clue dot colors to have an
active working group.

The converse problem is that working groups commonly do have a narrow
view of a problem space,
and this creates a mechanism to get cross-clue input before decisions
are made (note that review
is inherently after decisions are made).
									Ted