BEST Best Practices of the IETF

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at AlacrityManagement.com
Thu Mar 20 01:30:18 CET 2003

I'm working on a companion to draft-ietf-problem-issue-statement-00.txt, which
instead of focusing on the problems of the IETF, celebrates and attempts to
preserve what is positive and is working about the IETF.  We need to ensure that
as we attempt to identify problems that we also identify which things we wish to
keep.

I was asked to start on this document at the IESG Open Plenary in San Francisco
Wednesday night, and I'd like to create at least a solid outline of a document
by Friday morning's Problem Statement WG session at 9am. So if you can please
email me a short email answering at least one of these questions, it would help
me very much. A short paragraph on just one is all I ask!

   * What is "Best" about the IETF?

   * What do I get out of the IETF that is the most valuable to me?

   * What "ideals" does the IETF attempt to exemplify that I'd like not to be
lost?

   * What excites me about participating in the IETF?

   * What makes IETF better then other standards organizations?

   * What part of the IETF "process" do I feel is the key to why the IETF works?

   * What one "story" from my experience with the IETF exemplifies what is best
about the IETF?

Please email me at ChristopherA at AlacrityManagement.com with your answers, and I
will send the summary to the problem-statement at alvestrand.no discussion list.

Thank you!

-- Christopher Allen