Thoughts About the Process Document

Brian E Carpenter brian at hursley.ibm.com
Tue Mar 18 19:14:48 CET 2003

Margaret Wasserman wrote:

> >While you questions are not bad, I'd prefer to cut to the
> >chase.  I'd ask: have we identified places where the IETF
> >process has broken down?  If yes, fix; if no, continuing
> >digging into the problem ares.
>
> I agree with this course of action WRT the problem
> statement document.
>
> The process document concerns what we will do after we
> have consensus that he problem-statement accurately
> and concisely describes the problems.

It depends whether we think the problems are separable.

If they are separable, I would recommend creating a handful of
tightly targetted solution WGs for the highest priority
problems. Then repeat until done.

I see no alternative to using the normal WG process, possibly
with design teams [not self selected], for this.

If they aren't separable, we have a much harder challenge -
devising a global set of solutions that will fix most of
the problems simultaneously. That is an unattractive route.
A WG to do that would almost inevitably rathole. So let's
do our best to separate the problems.

   Brian