Thoughts About the Process Document

Spencer Dawkins spencer_dawkins at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 18 07:12:54 CET 2003

I'd like to suggest one additional 10-minute exercise, as part
of prioritization - this should probably be an individual
exercise, so we don't think we have to come to consensus, but -
please be thinking about how you expect the IETF to change as
the result of environmental forces over the next three years,
before saying "this is the most important problem to solve".

If you think we'll be doing more work face-to-face, you may have
different priorities than "more work on e-mail lists".

If you think we'll have another big influx of IETF newcomers,
you may have different priorities than if you don't expect this.

If you think we'll have a large outflux of old-timers, you may
have different priorities than if you don't expect this.

There are certainly other influences that may be more obvious to
you than to me.

Not worth more than ten minutes per individual, but maybe
helpful, just to make sure we aren't aiming BEHIND the rising
duck or (in perhaps more timely language) "preparing to fight
the LAST war"). My own expectation is that the biggest problems
we've been facing may not be the biggest problems we will be
facing, but most of the big problems we will be facing are
probably in sight today.

Spencer

--- Margaret Wasserman <mrw at windriver.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As most of you probably know, the Problem Statement WG
> is tasked with producing two documents:  the problem
> statement and a process document.
>
> In parallel with reviewing and refining the problem
> statement, we'll be starting work on the process document.
> There will be presentation on this subject at Friday's
> WG meeting, but I thought it would be good to get
> people thinking about this in advance.  I'd also like
> to get some mailing list discussion started.
>
> Our charter describes the process document as follows:
>
> "As a second work item, the group will also produce a
> proposal for a process to develop solutions to the
> problems identified by this working group."
>
> In thinking about this document, there are a lot of
> questions that come to mind...
>
> Which of the problems do we consider to be the most
> important and urgent to fix?

[ deleted rest of e-mail]