Formal vs perceived document status

Margaret Wasserman mrw at windriver.com
Mon Mar 17 09:13:43 CET 2003

Hi Leen,

>The IETF working methods should cater for these effects.
>Hence, IMO we should consider whether it is possible to write up:
>(1) the rights and duties of the editors and WG chairs during the time
>that a draft is already subject of consensus forming on the list but is
>not yet formally a WG document;
>(2) the qualifications which a draft should meet to become a WG
>document.

Your comments may not have been quoted in the problem-statement
document, but I do believe that the document covers this area.

In particular, the document talks about the lack of engineering
and quality process in the IETF, particularly in the WGs.  Part
of any engineering/quality process should be a clearer definition
of the stages that document goes through during production, and
the acceptance criteria and approval required to move from one
stage to another.

Margaret