The IESG charter process

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Fri Mar 7 09:18:51 CET 2003

On Friday, Mar 7, 2003, at 08:59 America/Montreal, Keith Moore wrote:
> We need to stop calling this a charter, and start calling it
> documentation
> of current practice.  It's clearly useful to document current practice,
> and the justification for current practice, especially when a lot of
> the
> criticism of IESG practice is done out of ignorance of what that
> practice
> actually is and the reasons why things are done that way.

Something that describes the powers of a group under ISoc is normally
called
a charter (example: IAB Charter RFC).  So the title is in fact quite
correct,
whether it documents current practice or proposes new practice.

Changing the title as Keith suggests would confuse the issue of whether
what is in the document meets the community consensus test.

And for the record, I want to thank Harald for trying to write down the
IESG Charter.  There can be no question this creates hassle for him and
others on the IESG, but there has been demand for such a document from
some portion of the community for some time.   I really appreciate him
taking on this activity.

[And my understanding from Harald is that discussion of the already
published
I-D about an IESG Charter is on-topic for the IETF main discussion list,
so I've moved this thread from the IETF problem-statement list]

Ran
rja at extremenetworks.com