Barriers to consensus formation

Scott W Brim swb at employees.org
Fri Mar 7 09:31:35 CET 2003

The strength of text-based communication is that you don't have to
serialize.  Everyone can "speak" at once, and be heard.  The "listener"
can process input out of order and get results.

Let's start with the out-of-scope mail you're referring to.  I believe a
less than fully committed participant could simply wait a bit and see
what other people's responses are, and in that way discover that the
message was not directly relevant.

Similarly, for in-scope mail, less than fully committed participants --
or those that read slowly -- can start by skimming the high points, and
if any of those seems important, work down and back from it, to discover
issues where they feel they should say something.

Text takes more time than speech, not only to write, but to read.  Using
mail is a classic IETF tradeoff.  However, the text is all there -- it
doesn't have to be dealt with serially.  It's possible to contribute to
a WG even if you're not completely dedicated, as long as you're willing
to give up being on the leading edge all the time.  It's possible for an
inundation of out-of-scope mail to exclude all but the most dedicated
from *leadership*, but not from making contributions.

..swb