Definition of power and responsibility

RJ Atkinson rja at extremenetworks.com
Tue Mar 4 15:35:02 CET 2003

On Tuesday, Mar 4, 2003, at 14:42 America/Montreal, Keith Moore wrote:
>> One interesting thing I found when writing the IESG charter was that
>> for almost every single piece of responsiblity or rule I felt I had to
>> put in it, I could trace it back to an older document. And I left the
>> pointers in there too, so anyone can check them out for him or
>> herself...
>
> And yet people were demanding a charter on the assumption that IESG had
> no basis for operating the way that it does.

Wrong.  The issue (explained to me many times by many different folks)
was
that the "limits" to IESG powers were not well defined.

The IESG Charter document should solve that problem.  My suggestion
(over 2 years back) to several IESG members was to write a charter
(that gave
the IESG broad powers, or gave it narrow powers, or gave it some other
set
of powers), but get some specific document through as a BCP.  At the
time,
the IESG didn't consider that important.

> When people don't bother to read the documentation that already exists,
> I have to wonder if writing more documentation will help.

That is not what happened, so your wondering is pretty needless.

Ran