General comment on draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt

Pete Resnick presnick at qualcomm.com
Mon Mar 3 23:24:21 CET 2003

On 3/3/03 at 5:16 PM -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

>To: Eric Rescorla <ekr at rtfm.com>
>Cc: Margaret Wasserman <mrw at windriver.com>
>Cc: problem-statement at alvestrand.no
>Cc: Keith Moore <moore at cs.utk.edu>
>Cc: dbh at enterasys.com

[Side note: Multiple Cc lines are a no-no; they screw up some mail
clients. They're currently on the "accept but do not generate" list.
I don't know if that was Randy's mailer or the list manager, but
please look into it.]

>so how do we get wgs to produce production-quality output and get
>production-quality ietf last call review?

OK, so you're asking for solutions here. Without going into detail
(since we're only supposed to be talking problems and not solutions),
I'll offer some short suggestions of directions that could be taken:

1. Tell WG chairs that documents from their WG will not be reviewed
unless they have done a full technical writeup of the documents in
question, something akin to what ADs do now.

2. Require WG chairs to solicit document commentary from people
outside of their area and to include that commentary with the
submission of the documents to the IESG.

3. For every WG, have an IESG approved volunteer advisor for each
area outside of the WGs area. The advisor would be responsible for
keeping up with the documents of the WG and giving input as needed.
In Ted's parlance, there would be "external stuckees".

To put this back into problem instead of solution talk: To accomplish
some of these, we would need to address "chair competency" problems
that the document outlines. Some of the above would need more
organizational structure, delegation of authority, and other
structural changes that address some of the other problems that the
document outlines. And if implemented correctly, some of these things
might (perish the thought) make it completely unnecessary for the
IESG to do the kind of intensive detailed review that it is currently
doing because the problems of quality would be addressed at the
beginning and middle of the process instead of the end. And perhaps
(again, perish the thought) that would make it reasonable to "dilute
the IESGs authority", because solving the problems otherwise would
make the authority of the IESG unnecessary.
--
Pete Resnick <mailto:presnick at qualcomm.com>
QUALCOMM Incorporated - Direct phone: (858)651-4478, Fax: (858)651-1102