Delegation of power (was RE: Section 2.4 of draft-ietf-problem-statement-00.txt)

Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com Jonne.Soininen at nokia.com
Mon Mar 3 18:54:45 CET 2003

Hello everybody,

I wonder if the real problem is hidden in this discussion. I like what is written in the problem statement document about the problem of the concentration of power, but maybe there is not enough analysis. I wouldn't think that it should be IESG to delegate any power to anybody, but the real problem is that it seems that IESG has any power of its own. To my understanding, the IETF community should have the power, and it should choose how it delegates to power to anybody else. The WG chairs, IAB,  and the IESG could be the objects of the delegation of the power.

Getting any power delegated to anybody (of those three or anybody else) means also that there is a certain responsibility with that power to fulfill certain expectations of the community. Thus, there has to be accountability and transparency in the process that it can be monitored that the people that are representing the community are doing a good job. And of course, the community should have a mechanism to directly influence to the set of people that are representing it. I don't believe that the current mechanisms (NomCom, ID Tracker, etc) completely do this.

I do think that the real problem is that IESG has any power of its own. We should not discuss which powers IESG should delegate "down" to WG chairs, and WGs, but what power the IETF community (e.g. represented by the WGs) should delegate "up" to WG chairs, IESG, and IAB - and how to monitor that they do their job.

Cheers,

Jonne.